Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I live in Mississippi, but my grandson lives in Michigan. I

I live in Mississippi, but my grandson lives in Michigan. I' ve had no contact with him in months. His Mother has blocked all my numbers and when I have gone to Michigan I wasn't allowed to see him. What can I do to get my grandson and my rights to have a relationship? Also, this woman has said ONLY the state of Michigan can MAKE her do anything.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Can you tell me whether your son has visitation rights
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. His time is every other Sunday 1pm to 6pm.But, my son lives in Mississippi due to her moving to Virginia. The only thing is she returned to Michigan a week before he moved to Mississippi.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Since your son is unable to avail himself of his visitation rights, you may file for independent visitation rights. Grandparents may obtain visitation rights if the child's parents are separated or divorced or if one parent is deceased, has relinquished his parental rights or had parental rights terminated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Must I hire an attorney or can I go thur Friends of The Court in Oakland County.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
You can try Friends of The Court however they typically have a very heavy caseload and must pick and choose the cases that they handle. If they are not willing to handle the case, I would suggest that you retain local counsel rather than trying to handle it yourself