RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

My grandchild lives with me in Arizona 4-5 days a week. Both

My grandchild lives with me in Arizona 4-5 days a week. Both parents share legal custody. The mother (my daughter) is out of state and is about to be deployed. My granddaughter (6) reports father is drinking during visitation, and drinking/driving, or drinking/passing out at home. I have a medical POA for child. Custody orders say father not to drink while with child. No "proof" father drinks with child. Also, no money for attorney but not low income. What can I do? What can I file as pro per?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question.You can hand draft your own motion to modify.There will be no ready made forms here.Get copy of prior orders here to attach to your motion.Ask that the custody orders be modified here to give you legal custody.Don't worry about being perfect.These get filed under same cause here in same court because that court has continuing jurisdiction to hear modification of custody.Copy other parties here by certified mail and the judge sets it for hearing here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Since action was between mother and father, and I have never appeared, do I need to file a motion to allow appearance? (Simultaneously?) Since court will likely still grant father visitation, what kind of remedies can I ask for to make sure granddaughter is safe during visitation? Besides alcohol testing, what else?