socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

it is posible to raise the alimony amount after some period

it is posible to raise the alimony amount after some period of time for any reason
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.

First, in California, it's called "spousal support." "Alimony," is considered politically incorrect. Cool

That said, the maximum amount of spousal support is that whch would support the supported spouse at the marital standard of living at the time that the marriage ended. So, if the supported spouse is receiving less than that amount (which, unless the supporting spouse is absolutely floating in money, is always the case), then "yes," it is possible to increase spousal support.

Also, if a child reaches the age of majority and child support is no longer available to the supported spouse, then that is also a justification for increasing spousal support to fill the gap.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the court set the amount how i know if is the correct amount.

Look at the last joint tax return that you filed. Take 1040, Line 22 and divide it in half. That's probably the maximum amount of support that any average person could reasonably expect to receive.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)