Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have had physical custody of my 3 year old niece for the

I have had physical custody of my 3 year old niece for the past 3 weeks because her mom was intoxicated (.42 breathalizer) and was taken to the hospital when she threatened suicide. My sister promised to enter in-house rehab center, but never did. Now my sister wants the 3 year old back. She lives in Kentucky, I live in Michigan.
My sister also has 3 older children whom she lost custody of when they were young.
What rights do I have to keep my 3 year old niece from her alcoholic mother?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

In order to legally keep the child, you have to have a court order granting you guardianship or custody. The court can grant a temporary order for custody until your sister gets the treatment she needs, etc.

You should see if your sister will sign over temporary custody/guardianship, and if not, you'd have to file a court petition.