John Domestic
John Domestic, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.
18914223

What is the penalty for forging a signature I know someone

What is the penalty for forging a signature? I know someone who foged a signature to get the water turned on at a new rental property. The water company required a signature from the Home owner who was not available so this person forged the home owners signature with premission from the realtor.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John Domestic replied 4 years ago.

Thank your for asking Just Answer,

Here is the FL Statute on Forgery: This is the statute that would apply. If it can be proven that it was done with the intent to injure or defraud the home owner then it is a felony in the 3rd degree. Punishable for up to 5 years on prison. It does not sound like it was done with an intent to injure or defraud, though.

831.01 Forgery.--Whoever falsely makes, alters, forges or counterfeits a public record, or a certificate, return or attestation of any clerk or register of a court, public register, notary public, town clerk or any public officer, in relation to a matter wherein such certificate, return or attestation may be received as a legal proof; or a charter, deed, will, testament, bond, or writing obligatory, letter of attorney, policy of insurance, bill of lading, bill of exchange or promissory note, or an order, acquittance, or discharge for money or other property, or an acceptance of a bill of exchange or promissory note for the payment of money, or any receipt for money, goods or other property, or any passage ticket, pass or other evidence of transportation issued by a common carrier, with intent to injure or defraud any person, shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

775.082 (d) For a felony of the third degree, by a term of imprisonment not exceeding 5 years.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If there was no intention to defraud is this a punishable crime? Perhaps a misdemeanor?

If there is no intent to defraud it is not a crime at all.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could signing the document to turn water on at the home be considered an attempt to defraud?
If they had no authority and where planning on receiving the services for free at someone else's expense.
John Domestic, Lawyer
Experience: Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.