Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 16 years legal experience including family law
4460311

can I remove the fathers name from my sons birth certificate,

can I remove the fathers name from my son's birth certificate, since he has never been in our lives for the last 13 years? I have no idea where to start looking for him, and I need full authority, quickly, to get my son dual citizenship within the next three months
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Tina :

Thank you for contacting JA.

Tina :

You would need to file a petition with the local family court to terminate the father's parental rights before you can have him removed from your son's birth certificate.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that you could get an order so quickly unless you can find a local attorney who can expedite the matter for you. You would need to have the father served by publication since you cannot locate him.

Tina :

Please let me know if you need clarification.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice. It is recommended that you seek representation by a local attorney for all legal matters. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Since I have no control over the development of the law, I ask you not to hold that against me. Please remember that I may not have critical facts concerning your situation unless you provide them to me. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.

Customer:

how quickly could I get full authority?

Tina :

It depends in part on the court's docket and whether the court finds that it is in the best interests of your son. You would need to show that removing the father is in the child's best interests or the court could deny the petition.

It isn't as simple as you might think to get a parent removed from a birth certificate.

Customer:

since time is a big issue here, would I be able to get his dual citizenship without the dad being present?

Customer:

what would be the fastest step to take, and also the least expensive, not that this isn't important enough to spend the money on it, but, I am also looking at very expensive lawyer fees to fight the deportation

Tina :

The fastest way to go about this would to be to retain a family law attorney to try to expedite the matter through the court. Otherwise, you could hire an experienced paralegal to assist you, but they may not be able to get the matter heard as quickly.

Customer:

do you have anyone you could recomend?

Tina :

No. But the state and local bar associations can provide you with referrals.

Customer:

thank you for taking the time to talk to me. I guess I already knew there were no real shortcuts but here's to wishfull thinking! Have a great day, Irene

Tina :

Yes. I wish it were easier too. You have a wonderful day as well, Irene. All the best to you.

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, 16 years legal experience including family law