socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

What are the chances of success, in your opinion, to petition

What are the chances of success, in your opinion, to petition the court to re-open my divorce and modify the settlement of property? I have a club membership with direct buy with my ex. It was neglected to be mentioned in the divorce. My ex has now removed my name from the membership.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Property omitted from a final judgment of dissolution may be later divided by the court. See, e.g., Dewbrew v. Dewbrew, 849 N.E.2d 636 (Ind.App. 06/20/2006).

So, there is no procedural roadblock to your obtaining a decision over tthis issue. The court has the legal authority determine your rights in the membership.

I can't speculate on odds of a particular outcome of the disposition. There are too many variables. Perhaps if your ex knows that you are prepared to fight over the issue, he will agree to some sort of settlement, knowing that litigating the matter may be more costly than the membership itself.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.