How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My with has sole custody of our 2 children and i have visitation

Resolved Question:

My with has sole custody of our 2 children and i have visitation rights. She threatens to move away. Does she have the right to just up and move?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Your former wife must abide by the current court order and thus, in order to move, would typically require a modification to the order.

This is commonly referred to as a "move away" contest. To prevail, she would need to show the court that, based a significant change of circumstances, modification permiting her to relocate with the child is in the best interests of the child.
Ellen and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions