Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

My husband died in October 2003. Just recently I went to buy

My husband died in October 2003. Just recently I went to buy a new car and found out I would need to file a succession in order to trade in the old car which was owned solely by my husband.    There are eight children, ages 53 to 37.    I also co-own (with my husband) a house, my home since 1959. Where do I start? What needs to be done to put all this in order so my children won't have to deal with it when I'm gone?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Can you tell me what state your husband resided in
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Residing in Louisiana. Born and raised and died.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
Here is the form that you will require to transfer the vehicle:
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When a person says "you need to do a succession" is the only thing that needs to be done is to transfer the car? I thought there would be other things to line up so that my children wouldn't have any problems to address. Since the house was in both of our names, there will be no problem there? Why is "do a succession" such a mystery?

Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
Since the only other asset is the house and it is held jointly, it passes by operation of law to you as the surviving joint tenant/spouse. If there were other assets that were in your husband's name alone, the succession would be more difficult. However since the car is the only item involved it appears to be a very simple matter