P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

About child support, what is the formula used in washington

About child support, what is the formula used in washington state to figure out how much the other parent pays? Where would I find out this information to see now if it would be different because of income changes? Can a parent just decide to pay less on their own because of their income change or do they need to go to court to do that?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Is there a current court order for support?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes
Thanks

Here is the caluclator the state uses

http://www.courts.wa.gov/ssgen/

NO, a parent can not simply "pay less"...if there is a valid order, the parent must comply or be in contempt of court.

Now, if there is substantial change in income to either parent, the paying parent can request the court modify the support...child support is always open to modification. But only the court can modify the order and, unless or until the order is modified, its in force and must be followed.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.