Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

MY GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG BIT A WOMAN WALKING DOWN OUR STREET

MY GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG BIT A WOMAN WALKING DOWN OUR STREET ON SUNDAY
THIS IS THE 1ST TIME HE EVER BIT ANYONE. WE WERE ALL IN THE FRONT YARD WITH
OUR GRANDSON PLAYING WITH HIM IN HIS LITTLE SWIMMING POOL. OUR DOG IS VERY
PROTECTIVE OF OUR GRANDSON AND WE THINK THAT HE FELT THREATENED BY THE WOMAN WALKER. OUR DOG HAS ALWAYS LET HER PET HIM IN THE PAST, BUT WE DID
NOT HAVE OUR GRANDSON THEN. WE THINK HE THOUGHT HER POWER WALKING AND HAND GESTURES AT US WHILE WALKING BY ARE WHAT PROVOKED HIM. SHE HAS A PUNCTURE WOUND IN HER RIGHT HAND AT THE INSIDE BASE OF THE THUMB. WE HELPED CLEAN UP THE WOUND AND SUGGESTED SHE GO TO THE MED EXPRESS CLINIC TO HAVE THE WOUND FLUSHED OUT.
MY QUESTION IS - WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO OUR DOG? AS I SAID THIS IS A 1ST TIME
INCIDENT. WE NORMALLY KEEP HIM IN THE BACK WITH OUR OTHER DOG IN A FENCED IN AREA. THIS TIME HE WAS OUT WITH ALL OF US AND WE NEVER EXPECTED THIS.
WE ARE IN PENNSYLVANIA. WE ARE SO WORRIED BECAUSE HE REALLY IS A CALM DOG AND VERY BRIGHT.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

You may be held liable for the woman's medical bills even though your dog has not previously bitten and did not conflict serious injury on the woman. Your dog is also subject to confinement for observation for 10 days