Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

In Virginia can a married person get a legal sepation and

In Virginia can a married person get a legal sepation and how?

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Unlike some other states, Virginia does not have something called "Legal Separation" which has to be issued by, or filed with, a court or any other governmental office.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do I have any opions to sepation?

You may consider a "Property Settlement Agreement". This is a binding written contract whereby the parties agreed to all the issues that a court could address in a divorce case such as property distribution and child custody.

Virginia does have "divorce from bed and board" which may be obtained based upon cruelty, fear of bodily harm, willful desertion or abandonment. It operates in the same manner as a divorce accepted does not free the parties to remarry
. It is very rarely used