Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My son lives with his mother approxomately 53% of the time.

Customer Question

My son lives with his mother approxomately 53% of the time. She is now living with a man whose own 18year old dayghter has given me a declaration stating that he was abusive and violent to her. Although she says he never hit her, she does say he pushed her up against a wall and then slugged the wall right next to her head. She tells of him kicking the family pets, and breaking bedroom doors. She also tells of him swinging a cane at her and missing. She says he rages and intimidates children.

My son's mother has been found by DCFS to be emotionally abusive to her 13 year old daughter. Can I obtain some type of order banning her fiance from having contact with my son?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

My son lives with his mother approxomately 53% of the time. She is now living with a man whose own 18year old dayghter has given me a declaration stating that he was abusive and violent to her. Although she says he never hit her, she does say he pushed her up against a wall and then slugged the wall right next to her head. She tells of him kicking the family pets, and breaking bedroom doors. She also tells of him swinging a cane at her and missing. She says he rages and intimidates children. My son's mother has been found by DCFS to be emotionally abusive to her 13 year old daughter. Can I obtain some type of order banning her fiance from having contact with my son?

Response: This would be very difficult to enforce even if the Court issues the order. You may want to try for modification of custody and request to have sole physical custody of your son so that your son would live with you most of the time and then the mother would get limited visitation. If your request is granted, then it would be less likely that the mother's fiancé would get ample opportunity to abuse him.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Does this scenario lend itself to getting full custody, or would I just be spinning my wheels?

Response: In this scenario you are seeking full custody (sole physical custody). In a custody case, the Court would make a decision based on what is in the best interests of the child by looking at the living arrangement of the parties to the custody dispute, their lifestyles, associations, parenting skills, education opportunity for the child, etc. If the Court finds after reviewing the factors that you would be the better parent, the Court would grant your request for sole physical custody. Otherwise, things would remain status quo. So, it is imperative that you provide to the Court any and ALL information regarding the mother's living arrangement and her fiancé so that the Court would make the right decision. Remember that the Court can only make decision based on evidence presented to the Court and nothing else.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Too general. I already know everything that was told me. .
Too general. I already know everything that was told me.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Your previous expert was correct. In a custody action of this nature seeking to modify custody, the fact that the person the other parent is living with has a past history of abusive behavior with their own child is indeed a ground the court would strongly consider in reevaluating the custody arrangement and it would indeed have a bearing upon what is in the best interests of the child. The abusive nature combined with the fact she is living with a man to whom she is not married would be grounds in your favor in determining the best interests of the child would be to change custody to you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”