lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

I live in Virginia. I was adopted approximately fifty-three(53)

I live in Virginia. I was adopted approximately fifty-three(53) years ago. Can I change my surname back to my birth name if I do not wish to carry my adopted surname any longer. I do have valid reasons(in my opinion). I do not care about hiding from anyone or anything. I am simply considering "going back" to who I was born as.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Yes it is possible to change your name as long as it is not for an improper reason such as to avoid creditors or any legal actions. The process is fairly simple but you do have to file a petition in the family court and appear before a judge. Here is all the information, instructions and court forms. They are the same statewide.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My purposes are soley for personal reasons. I am in good standing with the legal system and have only the "normal" bills and debt to take care of. No bankruptcy issues, etc. I appreciate the form link. I will accept your answer following my sending you this reply. Thanks for your help.