ANDREA,, Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law

If my husband denies hes committed any physical abuse in the

If my husband denies he's committed any physical abuse in the marriage, and there are no police or doctors' reports of it, what would the courts need, in your opinion, to prove it took place. Could testimony from our marriage counselor be admissible as proof that we brought it into her office and discussed it, and tried to manage it? What about a phone call to a crisis hotline? What about testimony from the notes of my own therapist? And if this type of testimony would be allowed, would it be considered, in your opinion, as strong evidence to a court?

Eyewitness testimony of any abuse, or any bruises. The marriage counselor would probably be the best witness, as long as she is not a psychiatrist or psychologist where there would be a doctor-patient relationship with your husband.

Testimony from your therapist would be good, but since it would be only what you told her, it would not be as strong as the testimony of the marriage counselor who heard about the abuse straight from your husband.

If there was no follow up on the call to a crisis center, it would not hold too much weight.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are not required but they are a nice way to show you appreciate the expert's time and effort

If you have questions in the future, feel free to ask for me by typing your name at the beginning of your question

Don't forget to leave positive feedback!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The marriage counselor is a licensed psychologist with a Ph.D but seeing her was an option for both of us, not a medical requirement. Would a doctor-patient relationship still prohibit her from being asked to testify? Or does it have to do with whether or not my husband would allow her testimony? In other words, does she have legal restrictions regarding confidentiality, or is it her choice?

Thank you for accepting my answer and for the bonus; It is both kind and generous of you. I apologize for the delay, but I was in Court all day and just returned.

It is difficult to say anything about the psychologist because it depends on the relationship she had with your husband and what your husband's understanding was. If you and your husband saw the psychologist together, then it is arguable that he gave up the right of confidentiality and the psychologist could testify regardless of your husband's objections.