How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask John Domestic Your Own Question

John Domestic
John Domestic, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
John Domestic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my brother and his wife is having a baby, they dont want it..

Customer Question

my brother and his wife is having a baby, they don't want it.. I want to adoptin since i can't have one. So she said she will carry it for me. What do i need to do about gaetting the paperwork started?? Is there any where that would help me with the fees???
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John Domestic replied 5 years ago.

Thank your for asking Just Answer,


Family or Relative Adoptions are adoptions where one of the prospective adoptive parents is related to the child by blood or law as a sister or brother (including half brothers and sisters), aunt or uncle, grandparents, great-grandparents or step-parent.


Adoptive parents are required to have at minimum a Preliminary Home Study conducted by a licensed child-placing agency, a licensed clinical social worker or by the Department of Children's Services (for DCS adoptions or in approved circumstances for indigent adoptive parents in other types of adoptions) which was conducted no more than 30 days prior to accepting the surrender of a child, accepting the guardianship of a child or filing a petition to adopt a child. A full Home Study will ultimately be required. The Home Study is a full investigation into the lives of the adoptive family to determine their appropriateness as adoptive parents. It includes a medical investigation for determination that the adoptive parents have a normal life expectancy and no diseases that could be transmitted to the child; a financial investigation to determine the adoptive parents' financial responsibility and their resources to provide financially for the child; criminal background checks; sex offender registry checks; home visits to determine the safety of the home; contacting of references and interviews of the adoptive parents to determine their parenting skills, stability of their marriage; general psychological health and general lifestyle investigation to help with determining the best interest of the child. NOTE: The requirement of a home study can be waived by the Court for relative and step-parent adoptions unless the child is surrendered by the biological parents to the adoptive parents.


Termination of Parental Rights. The parental rights of all biological and/or legal parents and putative fathers must be terminated for an adoption to take place. This termination can be done as a separate proceeding or as part of the Petition for Adoption. The termination can be voluntary (by consent, waiver of interest of birth father or surrender) or involuntary by the adoptive parents pleading and proving grounds.
A Petition for Adoption is filed (in the county where the adoptive parents reside; where the child resides; where the child resided when he or she was placed in the custody of a public or private agency or where the agency is located who has custody of the child) and notice is given to all interested parties such as known putative fathers, legal or biological parents whose rights have not been previously terminated or surrendered; to persons who have custody or visitation rights with the child and/or agencies with custody of the child.
If the adoptive parents do not already have legal custody of the child the Court may issue an Order of Guardianship pending the finalization of the adoption upon the adoptive parents filing the preliminary home study. NOTE: The requirement of custody or guardianship orders can be waived by the Court for relative and step-parent adoptions.
There is a six month waiting period from the date the Petition is filed until the adoption can be finalized. NOTE: The six month waiting period can be waived by the Court for relative and step-parent adoptions, or in other adoptions if the child has been in the physical custody and home of the adoptive parents for more than six months at the filing of the petition.
The Putative Father Registry must be checked within 10 days of filing the Petition for Adoption to determine whether or not a putative father has registered and is entitled to notice of the proceedings. The response from the Registry must be filed with the Court.
An Order of Reference will be issued by the Court referring the case to a licensed agency or DCS for investigation, supervision and a recommendation. The agency will submit a preliminary court report, any supplemental court reports and a final court report regarding the suitability of the adoptive family to adopt the child and the child's suitability to be adopted. NOTE: The Order of Reference and all Court reports can be waived for relative and step-parent adoptions.
Disclosure of Fees and Expenses must be made to the Court. All parties must disclose whether they have paid or promised to pay any money, fees, contributions or other remuneration or thing of value in connection with the birth, placement or the adoption of the child, and if so, to whom, the specific amount and the specific purpose for which these payments were paid or promised. Buying or selling a child is ILLEGAL and only certain specific payments are allowed by statute. Payments to anyone other than a licensed child placing agency are limited to the following: agency fees, birth related medical expenses, reasonable counseling fees, reasonable legal services related to adoption of the child, reasonable and actual expenses for the birth-mother's housing, maternity clothes, child's clothing, utilizes, food and transportation. The payment of these fees and expenses shall not exceed 90 days prior to the birth of the child or 45 days after birth or surrender of the child. Keep all receipts of payments made.


Tennessee Adoption Agency Fee Schedules can be found at


Above are the fees for adoption. Please click Accept so that I receive credit for my response.

John Domestic, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience: Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.
John Domestic and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So I need to talk to lawyer here in tenn. It still going to cost alot of money for this??? I didn't think it would because it is in the family, I'm wrong to think that??
Expert:  John Domestic replied 5 years ago.

It should be easier since it is family. However, it will still cost a few thousand dollars and will require some red tape. It does still require court action and social services involvement. I would suggest that hiring a lawyer may make things easier and possibly reduce your overall cost.


Hope this helps.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: