Attorney Wayne
Attorney Wayne, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Law Since 2000

I live in Massachusetts and see my daughter every other weekend

I live in Massachusetts and see my daughter every other weekend and am planning on moving to Illinois in the fall. What type of visitation will I be granted from the courts?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney Wayne replied 6 years ago.
Do you have visitation rights now? Or is your arrangement informal? Do want to change a court order because of the move, or continue as is? Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do have formal court ordered visitation. I just need to know what my options would be if I moved in the fall.
As long as you are permitted to relocate without agreement from your ex or approval of the court, the visitation situation can remain the same. Your ex could, of course, contest the terms remaining the same, but the court would make changes only if its determined to be in the best interests of the child.

If you are decent terms with your ex, you might try to agree to arrangements in advance. Courts like to stay out of it, if they can. But if the situation is such that such agreement is not possible, then you may wish to hire your own lawyer to go over all the details to be sure you remain true to the court's orders.

I wish you and your family all the best.

Attorney Wayne

PS Please click "ACCEPT." Experts only get paid if you click accept. Also, feedback is really helpful and the form is really short. Thanks for completin
g it.