Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 16 years legal experience including family law
4460311

My wife is expecting and we do not have health insurance. I

Customer Question

My wife is expecting and we do not have health insurance. I was told NJ does not consider pregnancy to be prexisting. The insurance companies I have contacted are saying she will not be covered. Do you know the law concerning pregnancy and prexisting conditions?
Thank You, Alan
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for contacting our JA team.

Unfortunately, pregnancy is a pre-existing condition since your wife was uninsured when she became pregnant. The best course of action is to see whether she qualifies for state Medicaid benefits. If so, that should cover all of the expenses. If she does not qualify, then the county health department is the next best resource. There are also not-for-profit organizations in many areas, such as Catholic Charities.

Please let me know if you need clarification by pressing the "Reply" button. If you press "Relist", I will not be notified that you have requested my assistance.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. It is strongly recommended that you seek representation by a local attorney for all legal matters. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Since I have no control over the development of the law, I ask you not to hold that against me. Please remember that I may not have critical facts concerning your situation unless you provide them to me. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>Thank you for the quick response. </p><p>I know we are eligible for Medicade or other govt. help. We are not interested in govt. assistance.</p><p>Our last pregnancy I didn't receive my benifits until 10 days before my daughter was born. The insurance company paid everthing. That was 13 years ago, has the law changed since then?</p><p>My wife may have complications, i read also that complications or other problems would be covered.Would you know anything about that?</p><p>Thank you for your help, Alan</p><p>Note: I do not have internet service at home so i am at my father in-laws office on my laptop and his computer. I have to leave so if i don't hear back shortly i will come back and check Sunday afternoon. i hope that will be okay. i never tried using this before so i am not sure how it works.</p><p> </p>
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

Government assistance is your best hope or a non-for-profit organization. It puzzles me why you would not be interested in this help since you could be stuck with a very large medical bill.

All the best to you and your family!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was not satisfied with Tina's answer. My second question was not answered but restated using govt. assistance which I said I wasn't interested in. Also I was thought this was legal advice not just information. I am looking for what the law is before I purchase health insurance.
I am not just looking for a good or positive answer I am looking for legal advice.
This website is misleading, I would not have proceeded with this if I realized if it was just educational.
Thank you, Alan