lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

Currently I am POA for relative who is blind, partial amputee,

Currently I am POA for relative who is blind, partial amputee, diabetic, also nerve damage in her hand. I am in the process of following the directions from the deceased spouse - who I also was POA for as well. I was told to cash in their savings bonds when i arrived at the bank I was told to sign every 10 bonds, which i did. I was told they would process the bonds and deposit the funds into an existing account. The bonds have both names on them (husband and wife) Wife is living (with conditions see above) Today I called to check on the status and was told I could not cash the bonds because there is a living person named on the bonds. I have a special POA as well that gives permission to transact cashing, buying etc of stocks, bonds, securities. The bank will not honor this document what are my options?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
I think that you misunderstood. They won't let you cash the bonds because one of them is deceased. A POA ends at death. The only person that can cash them in is the personal representative of his estate.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
His wife is living and I am also her POA she has the conditions I describes. Both names are XXXXX XXXXX savings bonds XXXXX XXXXX or XXXXX XXXXX also I asked them to put the funds into her account they did not have to give me any monies. what do you mean by personal representative of his estate? lawyer?
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
I mean someone will have to open his estate at the probate court and be named by the court as the personal representative. However if it is listed as "or" then they should honor your POA. I cannot tell you why they are not. You may need to consult an attorney and have him straighten it out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you