Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I rented a townhouse condo in westchester 2 years ago - about

I rented a townhouse condo in westchester 2 years ago - about 4 months ago the owner got divorced and the step son and his daughter inherited or purchased the property (as it now as a mortage on it, which was not the case before). Ii never received any legal documentation about the change in ownership except for a call from the step son asking us to mail the rent to his address as of last November
I called the original landlord and she confirmed that it would be okay to mail him the rent
the lease expired on 4/30 and I had the house cleaned several days before now, my question:

Our lease ended on the 30th, they changed the lock on the 29th without my permission 3 hours prior to our walk through to hand over the property. The step son's wife is harrassing me with calls about a stain in the carpet (which had been there all along, as confirmed by my weekly housekeeper) and they want the old keys back. I worry that it will be one thing after the other with them. How do I protect myself?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

So they locked you out a day BEFORE your lease was up?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, without my consent. we were scheduled to meet at 6:15 at for a walk through and I would bring them the keys of the house at that point. They came at 1:30 based on the super and neighbors's report, changed the keys and left. A about 3 pm I get a call from their home (they live at least 45 min away), stating they would not be able to make it to the meeting and had to speak with me about some issues
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Okay, what they did was illegal. Technically, you can sue them for this. I guess my next question is (1) do you want to sue, or (2) do you want to get back into the house ASAP to pack get this over with as quickly as possible? What are you trying to achieve, I guess.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My goal is to make sure these people don't bother me again. They are clearly not law abiding citizens and I tired of receiving harassing calls from them. I have one piece of furniture left behind which I dont care to collect.

I worry they would suit me for something - I can't even think of what, but after speaking with the person whom we rented the house from (the step mother), she asked me to stay away from them as they have such a bad reputation.

I moved to a house in the same condominium and worry about my family. To give you an idea, the step son's wife told me - "it is not like you are moving far, you are just a few houses from us" - What does that mean?

I once in the past called the police as they called me screaming and I worried about my safety.

Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Did they keep any of deposit? And how have they harassed you since you moved out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, they don't have a deposit and the contract from the original landlord stated that the last month's rent was to be used from the deposit.

they call me several times a day and now want me to meet with they to give them a copy of the old keys as they want to use that lock elsewhere.

Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
You don't have to do that at all. Just MAIL them the key via certified mail with return receipt, along with a letter that states that if they OR THEIR AGENTS will contact you again, you will file criminal harassment charges on them. That's the last you'll hear from them, I promise.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. That is helpful.

What would prevent them to filing a suit against me?

Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Probably. They CAN file a suit if you truly damaged the place, but they will see by your letter that you mean business and will likely leave you alone.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.