Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I have been divorced since 2000 to my ex-wife. We had 4 kids

I have been divorced since 2000 to my ex-wife. We had 4 kids at that time. I had just left the military in August ofthe previous year. When the divorce papers arrived I recieved them on the day of the court case. (I was living out of state) The Child support was at $1200 a month with I never made that much. I have been sent back to court in 2002 for arrears and ordered to pay $1477 a month. I have requested the state of Missouri t do a modification every three years because I have never made enough to cover the amount. I have tried to pay as much as I can every month, but I am unemployeed and currently in the final hiring process for a new job. Because I have not made enough to cover my arrears is now $68,000. I requestd the state 3 times to modify and I even have gotten letters from the state stating that my judgement wayto expensive and I have never or could never pay that amount, but they have never told me when the hearing is? Now I am ordered to pay the full amount again, help.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, the help for you here is going to be very limited because the courts have never ordered the reduction and the arrears just kept building and without the court order I am afraid that you are going to end up having to get an order for a payment plan on the arrears. This does mean you are going to need an attorney and the attorney is going to have to file a motion in the court to seek the waiver or reduction of arrears and it is going to take all of your tax forms to prove to the court that the support order was improper. You cannot do this through the child support agency, it is going to require you having an attorney and you are going to have to fight in court over this unless your ex is willing to forgive some or all of the arrears.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.