Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

I am currently in the US army and am stationed in nc, I have

Customer Question

I am currently in the US army and am stationed in nc, I have a girlfriend who is in mn and has a child with another guy. We want to get married but she has just gotten divorced with him and am i pretty much out of luck with her being able to move with me during my military carreer? Because he has got custody of the child too is there anyway or ever heard of a situation like this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - First allow me to thank you for your service to our country. This is a very common situation with divorced parents since both parents have a right to be involved in their child's life. Your girlfriend is permitted to move but she cannot remove the child without the father's or the court's consent. She would have to turn the custody over to the father and then establish visitation on a long distance basis.

Many parents have long distance visitation relationships with the non custodial parent having several weeks in the summer and a week at Christmas etc. Other than that I have no solution to the problem unless she can work something out with the father or convince a court that it is in the best interests of the child to be able to move.

Dave Kennett