Attorney Wayne
Attorney Wayne, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Law Since 2000
23192590

My wife has filed for divorce in Washington DC but I am a resident

My wife has filed for divorce in Washington DC but I am a resident of North Carolina. How can I petion to have the venue relocated to North Carolina?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney Wayne replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for contacting us.

The key question is where did you live when still together.

That state (or territory in the case of DC), has the primary interest in the marriage and would be most logical place for the case to be filed.

The one thing about North Carolina -- it is one of the few states that still allows a spouse to sue an intimate of the other spouse for "alienation of affection." So if one of you strayed while married, be aware that if you marriage was domiciled in NC at the time, this kind of case could be brought against a third party who is believed to have somehow helped cause a schism.

As for finding legal assistance - there are plenty of low priced law firms in the DC area. There are also free or reduced rate legal services. Please let me know where you and you wife last lived together, and I'll refer you to resources there.

Sincerely,
Attorney Wayne

PS Please click "ACCEPT." Experts only get paid if you click accept. Also, feedback is really helpful and the form is really short. Thanks for completing it!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We last lived togeather in Charlotte but my name is XXXXX XXXXX the utility bill at her apartment in DC. I visited but never permanently resided there.

I personally have not been involved with anyone else, could no longer vouch for her in that area.

Any referal, at this time,(either here or there) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Thanks.

In DC, I would try one of two services to link you with a lawyer. One is available by phone: Call(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
The other, is public program where you get to come in and discuss a matter and then be referred out to a local lawyer. Here's a link.

http://www.dcbar.org/for_the_public/programs_and_services/advice.cfm

In either case, be sure to mention your financial limitations -- as they can also prescreen you and possibly link you to a free or reduced rate program if you qualify.

In Charlotte, the Mecklenburg County Bar Association has a program that links you with a local attorney for an initial fee of $50. You get a consultation to discuss your case and can., some initial thoughts and ideas, and the possibility of continuing the legal relationship with that attorney. Call(NNN) NNN-NNNN

If you cannot afford to pay in full for your own lawyer, you might try the following resources in the Charlotte area:

McDowell Street Center for Family Law
101 N. McDowell Street
Charlotte, North Carolina 28204
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN (7433)
http://www.centerforfamilylaw.org

Mecklenburg County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Program XXXXXCharlotte NCNNN-NN-NNNN
Phone: (NNN) NNN-NNNNand(NNN) NNN-NNNN

I wish you all the best as you seek resolution in this matter.

Sincerely,
Attorney Wayne

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank You