Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I dont think your answer is accurate, because I have information

Customer Question

I don't think your answer is accurate, because I have information stating that once a father's rights are relinquished, it is only a matter of notifying the state that you are no longer a custodial father, and child support is ended.

If I'm incorrect, show me legal documentation that proves it.

Even more, tell me how to circumvent this flawed system.

I don't want to have to move to Mexico but that option is looking better every day.

I don't even know the names of my children.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Because of extradition treaties, moving to Mexico would not end your child support obligation. There is no way to avoid your child support obligation. A child has a right to be supported by both its parents. Whatever the mother is doing, it is not the child's fault. You can file for visitation and, if you're paying support, you will get it. But the system does not allow fathers to just walk away, because it's not fair to the child. If it were possible, everyone would do it, and the child support statutes would be practically meaningless.

Here is the full text of the statute.

I'm sorry that you don't know the names of your children. You do have a right to know, and you have a right to see them. Don't let your ex keep them from you.