dkennedy, Attorney at Law
Experience:  JD Degree, Social Service Experience, Child Support Officer

In colorado if one parent has 2 jobs, why child support registry

In colorado if one parent has 2 jobs, why child support registry said to me ,they only could go to collect child support from one job to my exhusband, not from the other job, and in colorado law I read should counted like gross income money from all sources, what is the true about this.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 6 years ago.

You are talking about "apples and oranges" here. To determine what the monthly child support obligation will be, all the income is considered. Certain deductions are given and the net income results. This is compared to the child support guidelines, and you have the monthly amount of support. This is simplified, but basically how it works. All income is counted.

How to get the money? Usually by a wage assignment. The reason they can only one job is that there is a maximum amount that can be deducted and if there were two different places deducting for child support, the amount would not be consistent and it would be very difficult for one place to figure out what the other place already deducted.

But, if you are owed, let's say the above calculations turned out to be support of $500 per month, then the money would be deducted weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly from the highest paying job. You would still get the correct amount. What would be the difference if they deducted $250 from each of two jobs? It is just much easier to keep track of the amounts if only one place is garnished.