legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years

My son is 3 yrs old, I left his father,Devin, in Florida 4

My son is 3 yrs old, I left his father,Devin, in Florida 4 days after his birth, moved to Maryland w/ my parents. Devin verbally and physically abused me all through my pregnancy. He became a raging alcoholic and was a convicted felon for drug possession,using & selling, I was given full custody w/ visitation supervised at my discretion. I always gave him chance after chance to see his son these last 3 years but he has yet to come to MD to see him. He is now telling me to have my boyfriend to adopt my son because he feels he shouldn't have to travel to see his child who does not share his last name & that he has to pay $240 a month in support, when he pays it. He says he shouldn't have to pay for a child he didn't want. Now he says he's getting a lawyer to force me to bring our son to FLA or he is stopping payments. What can he really do? Can he ever get joint custody? I won't ever leave Devin alone w/ our son, I don't trust him & it's not safe. When can my boyfriend adopt my son?
He can not force you to bring your son to FL for visits. He has made no effort to have contact and the court is not going to change the order and if he stops making payments you can have him held in contempt and he can go to jail until he pays. He would not get joint custody since he has no relationship with the child. If he terminates his rights then your boyfriend could adopt. But if you are not married it will be very hard to convince the court to allow Devin to terminate his rights and allow a boyfriend to adopt.