Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

I have a step-daughter who is 20 years old who attempted to

Customer Question

I have a step-daughter who is 20 years old who attempted to take my 15 y/o daughter with her to see an R-rated movie at a Cinemark movie complex in California (it was rated R for scary/horror content). She was told that she would need to be 25 or older to bring her to the movie by the complex staff.

I want to know if this policy is illegal. A 17 y/o can buy their own ticket to the movie, a person is considered a legal adult at age 18, and buy alcohol at age 21. This makes no sense to me.

If you think my position is right I plan to take this to Cinemark management and fight it.

Thanks for your help-

Jeff
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
The movie rating system and the enforcement of the ratings is not really a legal issue. It is up to the theaters to establish their own enforcement policy. So, the short answer to your question is that it is not illegal for the theater to enforce it's own rating enforcement policy.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, that's not what I was hoping for. Appreciate your help. I may start a petition process outside the complex. Tell me, does it make any sense to you on a personal level?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
I imagine it is frustrating for you. Unfortunately, the movie rating system is not a legal thing. On a personal level, I think if you start a petition drive you will not achieve your goal. You are giving them an awful lot of authority over your life. If you do not approve of their policy, withhold your patronage and your money. This is one of those situations you have to step back from and say how much of my time and energy do I want to expend on this?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your opinion. Their policy just seems to fly in the face of responsibilities we give as teens/young adults. Have a nice weekend!

Jeff
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
I know. It is really annoying when there is a policy with no rhyme or reason. It is usually a case of some idiot who has never been allowed to exert authority before. Good luck.