Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

My husband and I went to an attorney together to file for divorce,

Customer Question

My husband and I went to an attorney together to file for divorce, The attorney said he could only represent one of us... I signed a disclaimer that I am aware the attorney is only representing my husband... My future x and I have agreed on everything already, We decided to share joint custody (i dont need child support) and split all the furnishings 50/50 and His retirement 50/50. My question is: I am having my x sign the house over to me and having him pay off our 2nd mortgage INSTEAD of spousal suppoert (basically I get the house instead of spousal). So should I get my own attorney considering I am not going to sign anything unless it is what we have already agreed upon (as stated above).
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. It would be in your best interests to have an attorney that is representing you. He can take a look at the agreement and make sure that there isn't any additional language in there that could affect your rights, or your ability to sue to enforce the agreement, or anything like that. He can also go over issues that you and your husband haven't discussed (and which, as a result, may be left out of the agreement). For example - who pays for your health insurance? For the kids? What about life insurance for each of you? Your attorney can make sure that all your bases are covered, which could help you avoid problems later.

Good luck.