WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years experience, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT LAWYER FOR FAMILY, IMMIGRATION AND CRIMINAL LAW
16356563

Can my ex-fiance keep the engagement ring I gave her when I

Can my ex-fiance keep the engagement ring I gave her when I proposed to her on her birthday...the ring was not a birthday gift. She is trying to say it was, but it was a marriage proposal ring, her birthday was just the day I decided to ask her to marry me on. Also, is she says she "lost" it, can she be held liable for it's worth or the purchase price?
You are entitled to the ring and can sue her for it, regardless if she lost it, then she will owe the replacement value of the ring. Read the below case, if you can prove you purchased the ring and it was for an engagement, you are entitled to it. http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/07230702nhv.pdf
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm not sure that this particular case is what I need to use as a legal answer. The ring I purchased was a 2800.00 ring, and we did not "agree" that if the marriage did not take place, she would return the ring. It is basically my word against hers. SHE is the one who broke the engagement. Can you find another case that may be a little closer to my situation. Isn't there a "no fault" type of law that is basically the same as a "no fault" divorce in which the ring automatically goes back to the purchaser if the marriage does not take place.

the law states that you are entitled to the ring, the case above highlights that you have that right the reason he lost was because he did not have proof he bought it. These case are always argued like this, and to prove your case you need to show it was for an engagement to prove this you have to have some evidence either emails, witnesses, wedding preparations, possibly texts or people congratulating you to show that an engagement happened.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So there is no "set" law in Indiana that requires the ring to be returned upon the engagement being broken? I'm not sure I can even find the receipt....but several people congratulated her and asked "Let me see your engagement ring!" however, most of these people are her "friends" so I'm not sure they will vouch for me. BTW, I did not cheat, we got into an argument and she broke it off, everytime we argued she was doing this until I have finally decided not to deal with this or her anymore....