Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

My brothers wife left him. They have a 17yo daugher who has

My brothers wife left him. They have a 17yo daugher who has an infant and who hasn't attended school for over a year. She will be 18 yo on july 14. Is my brother going to be required to pay child support for the daughter? Divoce has not even been filed for as of this date.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - It is unlikely that any child support will be ordered. Ohio requires support until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school but in no case beyond the age of 19. Assuming the daughter is not going to high school or is graduating this year then I see no way that there would be an order of support.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does it matter that the daughter has given birth? does this emancipate her?

Not necessarily if she is living at home. I really don't see a problem if she is going to be emancipated in two months by turning 18. It is doubtful that there could even be an order done that quickly. The worst case scenario would be two months of child support.

Dave