lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

Hi! I am getting a dissolution with my husband. I live in Ohio.

Hi! I am getting a dissolution with my husband. I live in Ohio. Do the courts decide how much child support and alimony he will pay even if we agree on a set amount in the dissolution papers? Thanks :)
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
The courts will usually approve an equitable marital settlement agreement. Child support is always modifiable at a later date regardless of the agreement. Alimony may or may not be modifiable depending on the wording of the agreement. The two of you can agree on alimony without any problem. As to child support, the judge will look to see if the children are being properly supported.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess I should be a bit more specific....I"m not out for all of his money but I don't want to sell my boys short....Would $100 a week for a 7 &4 year old boy be in the ball park for a man who made just under$70,000 last year? I made $12,000. I also asked for $50 a week for alimony. I want this to be amicable but I don't want to screw myself either! thanks!
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Here is the Ohio child support calculator

In my opinion you are being way too generous on the alimony but you cannot look at just one issue, you have to look at all of the factors and elements.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you very much! Yes, I am too nice....just don't want the "typical" divorce scenario. I appreciate your help:)

Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Good luck to you. In this scenario I would start off asking for at least 3,000 a month in alimony. I would not expect less than 1500 to be awarded by the judge but it depends on everything.

An accept for my time is always appreciated.