Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law

I have two children that I have cared and provided for and

Customer Question

I have two children that I have cared and provided for and lived at my house since they were born. Oldest now 11 yrs i have provided for them sent them to school etc... their mother left me and them at my house 3yrs ago but we have equally shared our children with out involving the court. Now she wants to take them away from me out of state neither of us have custody but I have been their main provider and father, my name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificates. I want at least joint custody now that we will take it to court what will have to do to win?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.

Hello there:

if by "win" you mean be awarded joint custody, you would ordinarily just need to back up what you have told me here today. Custody orders are made in the best interest of the children. You have two children who you have been actively involved in the lives of for their entire lives. They are grounded in their community, they probably have friends, and Hawaii may be all that they have ever known. It is very seldom in the child's best interest to uproot the child, and move them out of state and away from the other parent, especially when the child has an emotional tie to the parent. I obviously have not heard mom's side of the story, but, based on what you have said, you would have nothing to worry about.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.