Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

IF MY HUSBAND REFUSES TO TRANSFER A CAR TITLE TO HIS NAME BECAUSE

IF MY HUSBAND REFUSES TO TRANSFER A CAR TITLE TO HIS NAME BECAUSE HE IS AFRAID I WILL ASK FOR HALF OF THE VALUE (DURING DIVORCE PROCEDURE)
WHAT CAN I DO TO PROVE IS HIS CAR ??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Whose name is XXXXX XXXXX in at this time?

Why is the car in another name?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he bought the car (cash) from his sister and he refuses to transfer it to his name and she is supporting him on this,,,, he has insured the car under his name but has not transfer the title to his name
he suspects i will ask for a divorce and is hidding all his $ and transfering the car titles to different members of his family
i dont know how to prove to a judge all of this

DearCustomer- I'm not certain of the value of the car but if you file for a divorce you can claim half of the value of the car as marital property. You can't force him to change the title but you probably have enough evidence with the insurance and the actual possession of the vehicle that he has paid for the car. You could even call the sister as a witness and force her to testify. Most people will not risk a perjury charge to lie about something like this.

Until you file for divorce you have no legal way to get him to do anything, Certainly thee are more issue in the divorce than a car but you should get credit for half its value.

Dave