ANDREA,
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
20073497

my ex husband has been trying to get a divorce since 2007 and

Customer Question

my ex husband has been trying to get a divorce since 2007 and paid his lawyer in full. we deployed to iraq and in 2008 my ex husband was told that he was divorced so we married only later to find he was not. so we divorced and he is still waiting for a divorce. now the lawyer send a court paper saying he went to court on the 22nd of april and my ex husband has to pay 2000 by tomorrow! the letter was received today and the lawyer sent it postmarked april 28th! the paper states if he cant pay the 2000 for alleged child support he has to report to jail yet his child support is taken out of his government pay before he even gets pay into his checking account. what should he do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning,

What the lawyer is doing is unconscionable. Write to him and tell him what you said here - Child support is being taken out of his pay, the lawyer did nothing on the matter of child support, child support has nothing to do with a Divorce Decree, yu paid what he asked and if he does not send you a Divorce Decree, you are reporting him immediately to the Desciplinary Board. Also demand an itemized list of services rendered This would show what services he rendered by date and how much time he spent performing each described service. See if he can justify the amount of money he was paid. Even if he justifies it, he could still have grossly overcharged you.

Then report him to the Georgia Attorney's Disciplinary Board,

_____________________________________________________

That is the only way I get paid

Positive Feedback and BONUS are not required but they are a nice way to show you appreciate the expert's time and effort

If you have questions in the future, feel free to ask for me by typing your name at the beginning of your question

____________________________________________________

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Don't forget to leave positive feedback!

ANDREA,, Lawyer
Experience: 25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mrs. Andrea

Will he have to report to the jail today? Also can he get a new lawyer? Thank you so much for your time and I will pay you 36 dollars I am approving soon as the link comes up again.

Expert:  ANDREA, replied 4 years ago.

By the way, here is the Office of Chief Counsel of the Georgia Disciplinary Board:

State Bar of Georgia
General CounselXXXXX NW
Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30303(NNN) NNN-NNNNext. 720(NNN) NNN-NNNN(in-state)
Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Website: www.gabar.org

He will have to report to jail because if he does not, a Bench Warrant for his Arrest will be issued. He should take all his paperwork with him to show that child support was being deducted automatically. He should contact the Public Defender's Office before he turns himself in and see if they can help him. They usually do not do child support matters, but if it was a Contempt of Court proceeding that resulted in being put in jail, they should be able to help.

Q. Was the lawyer supposed to take care of this on AprillXXXXX?

Q. Was your ex husband given notice of this date and was he in Court that date ?

Regarding the extra 18, , just put it in as a bonus, and I will wait for your Reply on the 2 questions above. Are you back in Georgia now from Iraq ?

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

What

ANDREA,, Lawyer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok I spoke with my ex husband and he said that he was told the lawyer called to tell him that he represented him in feb/mar time for contempt and he needs hisXXXXXfee. he was told nothing of the court day and was shocked and well pissed because why would the lawyer agree to something out of his budget in court. we have been in georgia since 2009 and still have yet to see a divorce since 2007 before we left for iraq.

I tried to submit and it came to like 18 or 19 so i will add more money to my balance but i have 18 left,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

does he go in today or monday?

Expert:  ANDREA, replied 4 years ago.

Please answer the follwoing questions with a "Yes" or "No"

Q. You mean to tell me the Lawyer went to Court in March, the Court held your husband in Contempt and the lawyer never told him ?

Q. And the lawyer said nothing to your husband about the Aprill22 Court date ?

ANDREA

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes mam we found out yesterday. He just contacted his chain of command and they decided for him to wait till monday so he cann report to jag which is military lawyers and he has contacted the jail he was to report to and he was told on monday to call the public defender.
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 4 years ago.

You have to promise me that your husband will contact JAG again immediately to discuss not going to jail because of the lawyers mistakes. You must also promise that he will also contact this lawyer by letter immediately as I stated above in my previous Answer and I want you to add the following to the letter:

1. You were not aware of the February/March Court date until after the fact and since he did nothing, you do not plan on paying him the $500 he is demanding. If the lawyer says it is it is money to pay the Court for Court costs - he is lying; there are no Court costs of $500 and besides, he did not file anything on behalf of your husband that would have required a filing fee;

2. If he clsims the $3,000 is for his fee, tell him he has done nothing to earn that money, in fact, he never informed your husband of any Court date and as a result, he is in more trouble now than before he hired him. If he claims it is for child support, tell him he is lying because child support payments are automatically dducted from his pay before he ever sees his own pay.

Have JAG call the Court and tell them that your husband owes nothing in child support and has proof of that. Also ask JAG to tell the Court that he paid a lawyer who never notified him of these Hearing dates, otherwise he would have been present at both hearings to prove his case in the child support matter. It would be great if JAG could convince the Court that under these circumstances, - No back child support and an idiot lawyer - Could they set a nominal bond so he does not go to jail.

That is the only way I get paid

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will most definately do that, thank you so much! You are awsome! I will pay you an extra 30
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 4 years ago.

You are very, very welcome. And I thank you for your generosity. I only wish I could do more.

You are pretty awesome yourself. You tell your husband (a piece of paper doesn't make a difference) that Andrea said he had better appreciate everything you are doing for him.!!!

It concerns me that a few morons like that lawyer ruin the name of all the lawyers who really work hard for their clients. He also ruins the integrity of the profession as a whole.

Please let me know what happens.

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR