How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If i have a divorce hearing and i don't show up what will

Customer Question

if i have a divorce hearing and i don't show up what will happen to me
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
The judge will award your spouse whatever they have asked for in the divorce petition. If there is a marital settlement agreement and it has been entered with the court then the judge will make that a part of the order. It just depends on the situation. If there are no children and no marital estate to divide then it really doesn't matter unless the other party is asking for attorney fees or alimony.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This divorce has been on going for almost 3 years now, she will not agree to iny thing and she is on her third Attorney and i have spent so much on attorney fees that i don't have a attorney to represent me now . Ive been unemployed for a year now , and she is asking for me to pay for her attorney and 40,000.00 that i don't have and on top of that she is still wanting 900.00 in child support and a 1000.00 in alimony every month, what can i do?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
You can show up and try to argue your case as best you can. You can check with the clerk of court and see if they will allow you to sit in on some trials to learn the procedure. If you do not have an attorney she may get what she is asking for. The judge does not care whether you can pay it or not. How long were you married and how many children? Does she work?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We were married for 5 years and i have one child, and she had a neither child from a different man and sold the child wile we were still married. She is a licensed LPN and she has not worked sence the baby was borned .
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
For such a short marriage she should not be awarded alimony, especially since she is a licensed LPN. You need a copy of her license to submit in court and you need to look up and have evidence of what an LPN in your area should be making. Ask the judge to impute that salary to her for computation of child support. Here is the Colorado calculator.

You would also need to present evidence of what you are making on unemployment and your efforts to find a job. Here is info on the laws but I am not recommending any purchase from the site

The best way to prepare is to sit in on some trials as soon as you can if the court will allow so you can get the documents you need in time for trial.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Also she never lets me see my doter it has to be on her terms only . it has been months sense Ive had her for the weekend , it is a*****where she lives one way to go and see my little girl she plays mind games with the little girl . I keep her one extra day one time so she showed up at my mom & dads with the cops to pick her up.
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
You need to also file your answer and ask for standard visitation. That can be enforced by the court.

Related Family Law Questions