Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law

My wife owes me back child support in the state of Kansas for

My wife owes me back child support in the state of Kansas for our three children. She was supposed to pay me starting in November 1998 when our children were 6, 8, and 10. Our children are now 17, 20, and 22. Can I still request back child support? And can I still request back child support for the children who are nowe 20 and 22? Additionally, can I get the child support adjusted for her income? Thank you.

Hello there:

there is no statute of limitations for collecting past-due child support. I have had clients who's partner dodged child support for decades, then suddenly started getting checks in the mail because the past-due support was being garnished from the other parent's social security retirement income. If you know where the wife works, you can start garnishment immediately. The money is still owed to you.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you! XXXXX retroactively adjust the amount of child support based on her increasing income? Thank you again!

Hello again:

there is no retroactive adjustment. However, you obviously have at least one minor child in the household, so you can still get an adjustment based on the present circumstances.

Glad to help :)