Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

i currently share joint legal and physical custody of my minor

i currently share joint legal and physical custody of my minor child son age 11.
we reside in california but we would like to move internationally. we would like him to come with us for at least a year with visitation to his father on holidays and vacations. is this an option?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
It would be very difficult to obtain such a request since the father refuses. You would have to convince a court that there are advantages for the child in the relocation that is not present in the current location and further that the move would not significantly interfer with the father's contact with the child. Moves such as the one you're seeking are usually granted when the other parent has NO contact with the child but that's not your situation
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what if we cannot afford to stay here and have job opportunity abroad. how would that work?
Again, it would be a very difficult position to convince a judge that the only employment you can find would be abroad. The judge will not focus on any benefit to the adults, just benefit to the child in the move as compared to lack of consistant contact with parent not relocating. I always try to help people represent themself when it is appropriate as there is not always the need for a lawyer, but if you do make such an attempt I strongly suggest you retain an attorney as this is not something a nonlawyer should attempt as it would most certainly fail based upon what you have shared with me.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
last one...what if the child is adamant that they want to move?
Though the child is still young the court can consider the child's wishes but I still stand by my prior posts. If the nonrelocating parent has been in the child's life most courts will see the child's desire to move as just a young child looking at the world through rose colored glasses and may change his/her mind shortly after relocation.

Again, what you are seeking usually is granted when the father has no contact with the child, is currently in prison, or has in some way not maintain contact with the child. I'm sorry as I'm sure it's not what you want to hear but I always tell people the truth as a lie serves you no purpose once you get into court. Every person if it's a client in my office or a customer her on justanswer.com comes to a lawyer, I believe, expecting a honest legal view of the situation.