Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

going through a custody battle and the child is almost a year

Customer Question

going through a custody battle and the child is almost a year old and the mother has never let me see the child... how can i fight for rights when ive never had the opportunity to see the child and spend time with her.... i want to be a part of her life now that we know she is truely my child but the courts say i must have had a relationship with the child in order to fight for joint custody?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 6 years ago.

Dear Jac,

Thank you for your question and I look forward to working on your answer. Please keep in mind, that my future answer will only be viewable if you have paid the Just Answer deposit, so let me know if you would like me to continue spending time research and drafting up my legal answer for you. Also know that I can only tell you the legal facts, so they may not be favorable to your situation, but you are here because you want the facts.

Also, it is important to know that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if I ask a redundant question.

That being said, if you would like me to work on an answer for you, and in order to better assist you, could you please clarify for me:

1. You had a paternity test?

2. Do you pay child support via court order?

3. Have you made a formal motion for visitation or custody?

4. What do you mean by "courts" - do you mean a particular judge?

I look forward to getting to work on this for you if I hear back from you in the positive. Hang in there!

S. Joy, Legal Expert

Please note: I do not provide legal advice, only legal information; I do notlegally represent any JA members, visitors or customers. We do not and will not enjoy an attorney/client relationship. Further communication with me here is an acceptance of this and any information provided by me is with the understanding that you comprehend this and agree.

A times there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. In addition, if it is late at night, EST, and we are between postings, I may go get some shut eye, but I'll be back the next day, so never fear. On Saturday, there will be greater gaps in time due to scheduling, for any needed follow up, but rest assured, by day's end it will be done.