Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.
11297241

Hi, how do you properly count the days of summer vacation to

Hi, how do you properly count the days of summer vacation to split visitation?
a) Do you take the upcoming first day of school minus the last day of school and divide by 2?
b) Do you take the upcoming first day of school minus the first day of summer vacation and divide by 2?

In my case, the two formulas yield a four day difference. What is the correct formula? Thanks!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Summer vacation includes the day starting the first day of vacation and ending on the last day of vacation. It does not include school days. If summer vacation is split equally, you divide that number by 2. For example, if the first day of summer vacation is July 1st, 2010 and the last day is August 31, 2010, that's 61 days of vacation. 61 divided by 2 is 30.5 days for each parent.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your response. Say school ends at the end of Friday 5/28/10 and begins Thurs 8/12/10. If you subtract those two dates in Excel, you get 76 days.

My X is saying that you don't use the weekend, nor Memorial day, so you would use Tues 6/1 as the first day of summer vacation. So, if you subtract 8/12/10 - 6/1/10, you get 72 days via Excel.

So, which is correct? Would the first weekend be included and Memorial Day?

Thanks in advance!

Summer vacation usually includes every day between the last day and the first day of school, including weekends and holidays, unless specified otherwise in the order.