Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Husband abandoned wife and four children 44 years ago. He recently

Husband abandoned wife and four children 44 years ago. He recently died after having married a woman in NC & having two children. New wife did not know about first family until many years later. First wife & shcildren had no idea where he was until many years later. First wife obtained divorce in 1970. Man had married new wife in 1968.

Do his first four children have any claim against his estate?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Did the man have a will?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That I don't know. I do know that the woman that he married in '68 died a couple of years ago and she had a trust that by-passed him. She had a large inheritance and passed it on to her (and his) 2 children.

I did find info online showing that he & the wife jointly sold quited a few lots on the shore in NC.

I am going to guess that he also had a trust..with most likely a pourover will.

If he did have a will, then the children would have a claim if the will stated that "all his children" get a share, etc. If the will specifically stated which children, then no. If he did NOT have a will, then yes, they'd have claim. Either way, they need to file a motion with the probate court to see if they have any claim. I can help you find an attorney if you'd like.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, thanks. Yes, I would like a referral to a NC attorney.
Sure. I'd like to refer you to the NC Bar's Referral program. The program is free. The attorneys are vetted, qualified, and affordable. If memory serves me right, you also get a free consultation once you are matched up with an attorney from the category that you need (or at least the consultation is very cheap - I know this for a fact). The link to the Bar's referral service is below.http://www.ncbar.org/publicpro-bono/lawyer-referral-service.aspx