Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I live in a very difficult situation-I still live in the same

Customer Question

I live in a very difficult situation-I still live in the same house as my ex-partner. We have 3 children. In recent months he has left 2 hobs on all night, releasing gas which left me feeling very ill. He also smashed a door into the side of my head which resulted in my tooth breaking. I have told him to leave-he refuses saying that he'd like to see me try. The house is owned by both of us although I paid for it with cash I recieved from a medical negligence case. He told me we would better off tax-wise if i put his name on the house, I later realised it was a lie-he dosent pay tax and neither did I at the time. He has used the majority of my money from the negligence case to pay off debts from his business claiming that it's our money not mine and using the children as another excuse. At the time I believed him, trusted him. How can I change the situation? Is there a 'divorce' for partnerships? Thank you for any help
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

You may consider obtaining a temporary restraining order (TRO) based on fear of physical harm.Based on your post there is little doubt that the judge would later grant a permanent restraining order.

You will need to go to the local courthouse to obtain the TRO. The clerk will give you the forms and assist you. The judge will immediately sign the TRO if the forms on their face appear that you are in reasonable fear of harm

The filing fee for the TRO may be waived based on need. The sheriff will serve him promptly after the judge signs the orders. After service, if he contacts you, you may have him arrested.

There will be a hearing at a later date to extend the TRO

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,