Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Eli, I was sent info that he was filing bankruptcy. I did not

Eli, I was sent info that he was filing bankruptcy. I did not know that I was supposed to get in-line to be part of the structured settlement. I also did not know that IRS debt could be included in a bankruptcy, and that a debt owed by a former spouse could be placed on me. By law, my I have his bankruptcy re-opened, even though I was aware he was filing for Bankruptcy?
Ma'am you did not have to open a new question, but just to continue the thread on the old one. Also, it would be great if you pressed ACCEPT for the question.That's the point, that he did not notify you, how can you know if he didn't? He's supposed to notify all his creditors and interesting parties, including YOU. So if he did not legally serve you, then YES you may re-open the baknruptcy AND/OR do a Motion for Reconsideration and ask that the Judge make the debt stick (more likely to be successful).

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”