Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

I live in the state of Missouri. I have my divorce petition

I live in the state of Missouri. I have my divorce petition almost completed except for my wife's part of the Statement of Income and Expenses. There are no children. I cannot afford an attorney so I want to represent myself but since my wife will not cooperate and give me the information for her part I am at an impasse. I'm ready to file the petition but I'm afraid I will waste the filing fee if the Statement of Income and Expenses is incomplete. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - Whenever there is a dissolution there must be agreement on all issues. If your wife is not cooperation you will have to file as a contested divorce by filing a complaint. If she fails to answer then you can obtain the divorce as a non contested action. You are correct not to waste your filing fees if your information is not complete however I doubt the clerk would accept the petition if it is incomplete.

I'm not certain if the same web page you used has the forms for a contested divorce but if it does that is what you are going to have to use.

Dave Kennett