RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

This may be a hybrid situation. I am married. My wife and

This may be a hybrid situation. I am married. My wife and I live in seperate homes but we are not legally seperated. My wife's grandfather passed away and left thier estate which includes a car and a house to my wife and two other relatives. My wife allowed our son to use the car and he wrecked it. The car is part of the estate. If we divorce, will I be partially or fully responsible for the car since we are still married?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question.This is separate property here--inheritance here is not community.As far as liability you and wife are liable for child's damages.In this case the estate would have claim against you both.Hopefully there is insurance to cover most of losses.You and her are liable because this is you child not because you are married.

Edited by RayAnswers on 4/1/2010 at 2:46 AM EST