Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
11182422

In June of 2008 I was awarded joint legal custody, with 50/50

In June of 2008 I was awarded joint legal custody, with 50/50 shared physical custody of my son Zach. Since the custody and visitation order me and my sons mother haved tried to get along the good of our son. Recently we have begun not to see eye to eye on some things. She has left some threating messages on my voice mail that after I drop my son off to her I will not see him again, also that I should find daycare for our son even though she does not work, and I am paying daycare cost in with my child support payment ordered through the court. Also from the time of joint custody till now there was a safty plan at one time in place concerning my son and his mother. Also recently on March 23 there was a incident at my sons school concerning his mother and a staff member, where she was almost ask to leave school property if she would not calm down. Just asking to see what my options might be in this situation for the good of my son and my own mental well being?????
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.

Hello there:

I understand the situation, but your question is a bit broad. It is like asking "where should I go on vacation?" Well... it depends on what your interests are, budget is, time available, etc. We obviously can't fix mom's mental illness, but what would you like to happen?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I strongly feel that myself having full custody of my son would be in his best interest.

Hello again:

threats of abduction are pretty serious, and would ordinarily be grounds for an emergency custody order granting mom only limited supervised visitation. Her other bad behavior is definitely not in the child's best interest. It is difficult to estimate whether the circumstances are severe enough to warrant a long-term, dramatic change in the custody order, but the court is typically willing to make a significant adjustment and at least order mom to get some parenting classes and counseling before restoring her a 50/50 arrangement. In short, the facts that you have described would ordinarily be grounds for modifying custody in your favor.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.