lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

my husband and I are military - we are currently living in

my husband and I are military - we are currently living in Thailand -we have 4 children that he has custody of - we are legally seperated - our hearing took place in washington state this past fall. Per the seperation agreement we are scheduled to divorce next year once he makes his 20 year service anniversary.
I would like to establish residency in my home state of Alabama and have the seperation agreement contested (if possible)-
Can I establish residency in Alabama? If so what do I need to do so ? If I do can I file a motion or something to have the proceedings moved to Alabama and challenge what is in place now?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Since the current proceedings are in Washington that is where they are going to have to stay, at least for the time being. Once the children return to the states and reside in one state for at least six months the case can be transferred there unless one parent is living in Washington.