Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law

Is it true that if a child was born after 2005, an the father

Is it true that if a child was born after 2005, an the father is on the birth certificate then the child is legitimized?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.

Hello there:

I am not sure what you mean by "legitimized", but maybe I can answer your question anyway. A father named on a child's birth certificate is a "presumptive father". This means that, absent evidence to the contrary, the named father is regarded as the legal parent of the child. However, this presumption can be easily overcome by DNA or other evidence.

I am not sure if this is what you had wanted to hear, but I do hope that you understand my philosophy that I cannot help people unless I tell them the truth, regardless of whether it is "good" news or "bad" news. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.