Lawmoe
Lawmoe, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Family Law Lawyer for 19 years
3560666

I am a teacher in Missouri that temporarily took in two girls

I am a teacher in Missouri that temporarily took in two girls from an abusive situation. After 30 days the kids were returned home....the grandparents that are raising them went to a lawyer and got a paper that said I am not to have any contact with these girls other than educational. The real problem being they didn't want them telling me things anymore...but every year they grandmother shows up with this paper and tells the teacher that they are not allowed to go to the library (where I work). They do not have a restraining order, does this paper even have an validity?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 7 years ago.

Yes, it has validity. If they filed for a restraining order and that restraining order was granted, it is not w a court order and enforceable. If fact, a violation of a restraining order validly issued may result in criminal charges.

You have the opportunity to contest a restraining order when it is originally filed. If you do not do so, it becomes an order. The terms of the restrictions are contained in the restraining order itself. You must familiarize yourself with those terms to avoid future trouble.

Thank you for Choosing JustAnswer. Please CLICK ACCEPT BELOW so that I may be compensated for my work.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But they don't have a restraining order...nothing signed by a judge...just paid their lawyer to write up this paper that tells me not to have any contact with them.
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 7 years ago.

Then there is no "restraining order." That means there is no possibility of criminal charges stemming from a violation. However, parents may dictate who a child sees. If you violate their requirements, which are in writing and known, it would be a basis for them to seek a harassment restraining order.

PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT BELOW