How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawmoe Your Own Question
Lawmoe, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience:  Family Law Lawyer for 19 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawmoe is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

divorced in 1996..two children...never went to court...move

This answer was rated:

divorced in 1996..two children...never went to court...move ahead to 2008.. due to me falling into arrears we ( ex and myself) agreeed to a "new contract" ( ex wife, legal sec. wrote up the new agreement, not a judge) we did this instead of going to Child Support services or Court.
Here is the question..everytime I question anything about our new agreement ( we differ on how its to be interperated) the ex threatens to take me back to court and seek all the arrears plus what Im currently long as I stay current on new agreement, can she do that? I mean, she could not even disagree with me and say, "hey, you know what, I changed my mind. I do want all the back payments you failed to pay, even though your fulling your end of the new agreement." Does the new agreement waive her rights to past arrears as long as i stay current?

First of all, a court order is law of the case. If you wish to modify a court order, you must do more than simply sign an agreement. You must have that agreement memorialized in court as an order or the previous order remains enforceable.


Second, child support is viewed as a right of the child and not a right of the parents. As a result, the court must sign off with an order on any enforceable child support awards or modifications.


Third, based on federal law, child support can never be modified retroactively except back to the date that a Motion is filed.


With respect to all of the above, you have a significant problem since. Without an agreement from the other party to change the order and the arrears, they remain collectible. There are some equitable arguments that can be used should your ex seek to collect arrears such as "unclean hands" or "laches", but I do not see them as particularly strong.


I am sorry for your troubles.




Customer: replied 6 years ago.

my agreement was written and signed by ex and myself and was accepted in superior court....

If the new agreement was written, signed and presented in court where it was entered as an order, the opposite analysis applies. Child support can NEVER be modified retroactively except back to the day a Motion is filed. As a result, your ex cannot seek arrears.


If you had arrears prior to the last stipulation and order that was entered, and those arrears were not addresses as part of your agreement, there is some chance your ex could seek to have those arrears reduced to judgment and collected. It would be tough to prove what remained unpaid and there would also be an argument that any arrears should have been addressed as part of the last stipulation and order, and since they were not, they were waived.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so far so good...below is a copy of agreement..will pay more for advice if needed..

also does 1/2 of two hundred mean 1/2 of ALL or half of anything OVER 200..ex thinks it means all and I disagree, example..if cost is 300.00, I say my half is 50.00, not 150.00..opinion please

Commencing September 1, 2008 Respondent shall pay to Petitioner child support in the agreed-upon modified amount of $xxx.00 per month payable on the first day of each and every month thereafter and shall continue through June 2016 or until further order of the Court.

If, at any time, Respondent becomes in arrears of the agreed-upon modified child support of $xxx.00 per month through June 2016, Petitioner may resume enforcement of all child support arrearage amounts including, but not limited to, Respondent's existing arrearage of $xxxxx.48 (as of September 30, 2008) plus interest, less credit to Respondent for payments made.

As additional child support, commencing November 1, 2008 Respondent shall pay one-half of any expenses for the children that exceed $200.00 relating to school and extra-curricular activities such as sports, dances (such as Winter Formal, Sadie's Hawkins, Prom), senior year costs, books/supplies/tests and testing materials, driver's education/training, etc. Respondent's one-half payment of such agreed-upon expenses shall occur within 30 days of his notice of such expenses incurred by Petitioner.

That is an interesting agreement. It essentially includes a balloon clause which allows your ex to collect on any past arrears if you make a late payment. The interesting part is that it does not state what happens to the arrears if timely payments are made. Are they ultimately wiped out or only collectible later?


With regard to the balance of the agreement, it states that you pay one half of any expenses only after the threshold of $200 has been reached. So, if the expenses are $300, you pay one half of $100 or $50.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok last question then and thank you for the advice..


in your opinion, as long as Im current on the above agreement, im not on the hook for the past arrears?

WIthout additional language, I believe that a fair reading of the stipulation and order indicates an intent to dismiss any arrears so long as payments remain current. Any other reading would seem inconsistent although the language could have been written much more clearly.


Lawmoe, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience: Family Law Lawyer for 19 years
Lawmoe and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: