LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

In California, can a divorcing husband and wife decide a child

In California, can a divorcing husband and wife decide a child support amount themselves or does the court have to decide?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

The court's role is to order support in the best interests of the children. While this often requires the usual calculator being used, the court will many times order what has been agreed to by the parents if it is within reason.

You can use this site to get an estimate of what the court will expect the level of support to approach:

I wish you the best in 2010.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the orange Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,